April 1, 2014

Fresh Picked Spaghetti

I love spring! The sun is shining, flowers are blooming, and the spaghetti is almost ripe for harvest!

Before you ask if I've lost my noodle, take a look at this short clip from a 1957 episode of the BBC's current affairs documentary program, Panorama. It is widely regarded as one of the best April Fools' Day hoaxes of all time.

The program pranked viewers by airing a segment on the burgeoning spaghetti harvest in Southern Switzerland. Respected broadcaster Richard Dimbleby presented footage of the "traditional harvest festival," and cited the "virtual disappearance of the spaghetti weevil" as the reason for that year's success.

The day after the program aired, inquiries flooded into the BBC asking about spaghetti cultivation and how to grow spaghetti trees. The BBC's advice was, "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

Now, if I can only get my Tiramisu tree to grow!










No comments:

Post a Comment